Updated April 2011
Recently a group of middle school students at an Idaho public charter school were asked about their uniforms, they were quoted as saying,“The uniforms sort of even the playing field. We don’t worry about looking cool or having the most expensive clothes. We don’t see cliques at our school; we include everyone.”
The National School Safety and Security Services states that school uniforms, dress codes, and book bag control can contribute toward improving a school climate. School climate, of course, can play a significant role in reducing security threats and improving school safety.
School officials have a responsibility to provide a safe, secure, and productive learning environment. Dress and appearance play a role in doing so. Dress codes and uniforms can help reduce the potential for conflict by;
- Reducing conflict stemming from socio-economic status, i.e., conflicts stemming from comments and personal attacks regarding styles or brands of clothing and so on.
- Reducing ways in which gang members can identify themselves which, in essence, is a form of intimidation and creates fear.
- Reduces the risk of students being robbed to and from school, or for that matter in school, of expensive clothing, jewelry, etc.
- In the case of uniforms, they can help the school administrator & teachers identify non-students, trespassers, and other visitors in the hallways who would stand out in the crowd.
In addition to these safety factors, the dress code policy of The Village Charter School has been designed to support our schools vision and mission to provide a safe, supportive, loving, learning environment for all of our students. To provide this environment, a unified dress code achieves the following:
- Students can learn without the fear of being teased, bullied, or harassed for their clothing choices;
- Pressure to wear certain styles or name brands is eliminated;
- A greater sense of school identity and belonging is created;
- Decreases overall behavioral issues;
- Establishes a standard for clothing that fits appropriately, eliminating clothing that is revealing, low cut, too short, too long, too loose or hangs too low.